Thursday, March 10, 2011

Thanks MOM!

Thought I needed to give a little shout out to my mom for helping me capture this photo...along with most of them posted so far.

Going to go a little nerdy on you and explain this shot - sorry! However, anytime a photographer(especially a National Geographic photographer) explains what it took to get a certain shot, I appreciate the photo more and for some reason I think it makes the photo cooler. Don't get me wrong, I'm not saying I stayed up all night in -15 degree weather only to get mauled by a snow leopard...but I didn't just say, "Stand there" - click.

Problem: Derek was standing in a dark/shadowy alley, where no light was hitting his face and too much light was hitting the background.
Solution: I had my mom stand on some stairs, hold a reflector, and reach it over the top of the buildings in order to bounce the sunlight back onto his face. It was a rather impressive reach - one that might even qualify her to be a Yoga instructor.

Right after I released the shutter a ravenous lion crept upon us as we quickly became its prey and....... Ok so maybe it wasn't a lion but truly, a 6lb feline jumped out of one of the vacant buildings, ready to attack I'm sure(as all cats are inherently evil) and scared the bazeesus out of me. All I have to say is thank goodness for shoulder straps.

2 comments: